Friday, February 15, 2013

Mediterranean Delight Pizza

This might be our favorite pizza. It is an imitation of Papa Murphy's Mediterranean DeLite Pizza, but our version isn't quite as light. :) We start out with our traditional pizza crust and layer on olive oil, Italian seasoning, spinach, chicken, oven-dried tomatoes, feta cheese, and a sprinkling of mozzarella. There are so many delicious flavors in each bite!


I use a lot of approximation for the pizza crust, but here are the basics I follow:

1 1/4 c. warm water
1 Tbsp. yeast
pinch sugar
1 tsp. salt
3 1/2 c. flour
2 Tbsp. olive oil

Combine water, yeast, and sugar and let sit until yeast foams. Add salt, flour, and olive oil and knead in stand mixer with dough hook or by hand. Continue to alternate adding olive oil or water as needed. Dough should not be sticky at all but should form a cohesive ball. Lightly coat ball of dough with olive oil, cover with towel, and let rise until double. Makes enough for 1 large jellyroll pan or 2 8-9 inch round pizzas.

Toppings:
olive oil
Italian seasoning
1/2 bag spinach, finely shredded
4-6 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
1-2 lbs chicken, diced, cooked, and seasoned according to taste
(I prefer to use chicken thighs on pizza since they are more moist and tend to not get dried out during cooking at high temperatures)
oven-dried tomatoes (1 pint before drying)
1 c. mozzarella cheese (optional)

Sprinkle cornmeal over pizza stone or pan. Roll out pizza dough and place on pan. Brush lightly with olive oil and sprinkle liberally with Italian seasoning. Sprinkle spinach over crust and press into dough. Top with chicken, tomatoes, feta cheese, and mozzarella cheese. (Note: this is optional but I like to add it simply because it holds everything in place and makes the pizza easier to eat.) Bake at 500 degrees for 10 minutes.

Important: The tomatoes tend to scorch at such a high temperature (you can see some of mine are a bit scorched in the photo). The pan should be placed low enough in the oven to avoid this. Check the pizza periodically throughout the 10 minutes and if tomatoes are starting to burn, lower the pan.

**You can make this pizza "lighter" by halving the crust recipe and making the crust half as thin. You will just need to reduce the baking time accordingly.

4 comments:

  1. I'm making this tomorrow. Looks amazing! I'm loving all these pizza recipes you've been putting up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this without the chicken and it is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this last night - very yummy! I also threw on some sliced mushrooms because I had a few leftovers in the fridge, and they were delicious as well.

    One question, how do you make your crust be not doughy? I left the tomatoes off until the last couple of minutes so I could cook it long enough and have them not scorched, but even at 13 minutes, my crust was still pretty doughy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jocilyn--I don't know how to make the crust not doughy, because I've never had it come out doughy! Maybe your oven heats it differently--is it convection? (Mine isn't.) Have you tried moving it down one notch in the oven? I've tried it at a friend's house as well (her oven doesn't work very well) and it was just fine. Maybe you could try pre-baking the crust for a couple of minutes before putting toppings on? I'm at a loss...

    But you're genius to put the tomatoes on later on. I never even thought of that! I always hate picking off black ones and wasting them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...