Monday, January 13, 2014

Sweet Potato Salad

I made this salad one night when the sisters were coming over and it was a huge hit! I made it again on Christmas Eve but I used white sweet potatoes, which changed the taste quite a bit. I like it a lot better with orange sweet potatoes (I think they differentiate between yams and sweet potatoes out West, but I've never seen yellow sweet potatoes here). I got the recipe from Aldi, my all-time favorite grocery store. Here's another reason to love them!

Picture courtesy of aldi.com


Ingredients
6 pounds small sweet potatoes (orange or red), peeled and diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
1/4 cup vinaigrette
1/2 teaspoon cumin
2 pinches chili powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
1/2 cup thawed corn (canned also works, but frozen is better)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup diced red onion
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped cilantro


In a large bowl, toss sweet potatoes with olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Spread onto a large baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until tender. Refrigerate.

In a large bowl, whisk together the vinaigrette, cumin, chili powder, paprika, lime juice, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Add the corn, black beans, red onion, bell pepper, cilantro and chilled sweet potatoes to the vinaigrette. Toss until well combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...