Monday, January 13, 2014

Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Cauliflower Soup with Goat Cheese

YUM! This soup is delicious, especially on a cold wintery day. 

Picture and recipe courtesy of Closet Cooking


4 red bell pepper, cut in half and seeds removed
1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
1 pinch red pepper flakes
4 cups chicken broth or chicken stock or vegetable broth
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
salt and pepper to taste


Place the red peppers on a baking sheet with the cut side facing down, broil until the skins are blackened, about 10 minutes, place in a sealable container and let 'steam' for 20 minutes before pinching the skins off and dicing.

Meanwhile, toss the cauliflower in the oil, place it in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees until tender and caramelized, about 20-30 minutes, mixing once in the middle.

Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat and cook the onion until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about a minute. Add the roasted red peppers, cauliflower, broth, paprika and goat cheese and simmer for 10 minutes before pureeing to the desired consistency with a hand blender. Season with salt and pepper and serve garnished with goat cheese.


I found the most tedious part of this to be pinching the skins off the red peppers. But you know what? I just realized that I sliced them thinly first and then broiled them. I highly do not recommend that. I'd be interested in hearing if the skins pinched off easily with the peppers only cut in half.

Also, the goat cheese garnish at the end adds quite a bit of flavor--I highly recommend sprinkling some on top!

2 comments:

  1. Since I know all of you will find this funny, I thought I'd post this story too. When I was making this I thought, "a hand blender? Well, I don't have one of those, but I DO have hand beaters! Maybe they will work just as well." WRONG. Beaters do not work like hand blenders. Instead of blending the soup, they just splash it all over your face and the wall and the counter. Just in case you wanted to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! This looks so, so yummy! I definitely want to try this next time red peppers are on a good sale! I have some recipes I'll post soon as well, to break my months-long silence. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...