Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Hummus

When I came across this recipe I was excited because the pediatrician said to emphasize protein with Talmage and this is made primarily of chickpeas and peanut butter! We used it as a dip for animal crackers, but I also tried it on apples and bananas and it was good that way as well. Talmage liked it best by itself, I think! He gobbled it up!

Original recipe from Chocolate-Covered Katie

1 can chickpeas, drained
pinch salt
pinch baking soda
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. nut butter (I used peanut butter)
1 Tbsp. milk (plus more as desired)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. chocolate chips
2-3 Tbsp. quick oats

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until very smooth. Then mix in chocolate chips. Serve with graham crackers, animal crackers, fruit, or whatever else you desire.

Notes:
-I don't own a food processor. I just use a mini-chopper and it does an okay job. It's not perfectly smooth, but the oats disguise the graininess of the beans. You can add more oats as desired.

-I tried this the first time with 2/3 cup brown sugar (as suggested by the recipe) and then the second time cut it back to 1/2 cup. There wasn't a huge difference, and Talmage loved it either way.

3 comments:

  1. I'll admit, I was skeptical. Chickpeas, really?! But then I thought, well, if Talmage like it, it must not be too bad. And actually it's quite good. The jury's still out, because Peter and Emily haven't tried it yet, but I think it is a yummy snack. No, I definitely won't call it a treat, though. I put the full 2/3 cup of sugar, and I think I'll leave it that way - it still has a slight garbanzo-ish bite to it. And the shocking discovery of the day is that I am all out of chocolate chips! I couldn't believe it (I'd already mixed the rest up), but eventually had to give up the frantic search through my pantry. So I ended up chopping up some chocolate-toffee squares, and they actually make a nice addition. I suggest using mini chocolate chips instead of regular - that seems a better size for dipping to me. And one final note - next time I'm going to try this with Nutella instead of peanut butter. I'll let you know how it goes (or you can try it first and tell me).

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I did a little research (clicked on Kaitlyn's link, then followed a link there to the original, original recipe) and I think it will help to *rinse* the beans after draining them. That should eliminate the little garbanzo-ish aftertaste. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your ideas! I bet rinsing the beans would help a lot--I didn't even think of that. Mini chocolate chips would make a huge difference! I actually liked it better without the chocolate chips because they were so cumbersome. Mini would take care of that issue. And Nutella? Brilliant! I also agree that it's not some sort of delectable treat, but Talmage still considers it one and that makes me happy. I also tried the tofu chocolate bar pie. Again, while it wasn't anything like a real chocolate pie, he gobbled it up (especially with the homemade honey-wheat graham crust), so it was a good way to make him think he was getting a treat while providing him with a lot of protein. Glad you tried it! I hope your kids liked it too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...