Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Peanut Butter Cup Layered Cake

This cake was an experiment. I had the idea one day and decided I simply must make it for Sam's birthday. The last layered cake I tried had...some issues, to say the least. This attempt was far more successful, but I still learned some valuable lessons along the way (through mistakes, of course!). It's really rich, so it goes a long way. With just the two of us, we ended up freezing most of it! But it freezes amazingly well and even tastes good before it is thawed out. Enjoy!
Peanut Butter Cup Layered Cake
-
Mix together:
2 c. sugar
2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
-
Bring to a boil:
2 cubes butter
4 Tbsp. cocoa
1 cup water
-
Pour over flour mixture and add:
2 eggs
1 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
-
Liberally grease and flour 2 8-inch round pans. Pour half of the batter into each pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
-
Mix together:
1 c. creamy peanut butter
1 cube butter, softened
4 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
enough milk to make a good frosting consistency
-
Set aside approximately 1/2 cup of frosting and thin it down with more milk so it is quite runny. Level both cakes with a long, serrated knife. Coat cakes with a thin layer of the thinned down frosting to "glue" the crumbs to the cake. Chill until icing sets up. Spread 1/2-1 inch of frosting over the top of one cake. Stack the other cake on top and cover completely with frosting.
-
Heat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes:
1/2 c. heavy cream
4 oz. weight semi-sweet chocolate chips (or about 1/3 bag)
-
Stir together. Microwave for additional 30 second intervals if necessary, until it reaches a glossy texture. Let cool until it has thickened, but is still pourable. Pour over cake.
-
Top with:
1 bag Great Value peanut butter cups
-
I cut enough in half to circle the top of the cake, then surrounded the bottom with quartered ones and sprinkled the rest on top.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah! I am so glad this is going to be a reality. Just you wait for delicious Middle Eastern and Chinese recipes from my side of town...

    ReplyDelete
  2. All right! Do you know how to set it up so we can all add recipes? Also, can we put the little tags on the post to categorize stuff?

    Also, I'd say this cake looks beautiful - the only thing it needs is some melted candles :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breanne-Yes! I'm excited to have them! Maybe they will require another jaunt to "Chinatown."

    Chicken Dust-I set it up with your Chicken Dust e-mail on hotmail so your blogs would be listed under the same e-mail address, but I set it so that comments would be e-mailed to your Yahoo account. If you want any of that changed let me know. The tags are a great idea! I'll add them. And melted candles? Whatever are you talking about??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I realized that didn't quite make sense...I made it so you could post under your chicken dust e-mail. Just ask if you have questions...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah Kaitlyn! Thanks for getting this going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah! Get ready for all my... Awesome?... College recipes? Ok. Who am I kidding. Everyone already knows my "awesome" college recipe. PB&J. Um. So I guess hooray that maybe if I feel like venturing from my comfort food, I know where to go.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...