Monday, June 14, 2010

Gingerbread Breakfast Bars


(original recipe from Vocalpoint, greatly adapted to be my own)
-
Preheat oven to 350, spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
-
Sift together:
1 3/4 c flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
12/ tsp ground allspice
1/2 c packed brown sugar
(you could also use a packaged gingerbread mix)
-
Beat together:
1 large egg
1 1/4 c lukewarm water
-
Stir in dry ingredients until just moistened, then add:
3 c granola cereal (buy it or make your own)
dried fruit (I like currants, but raisins, craisins, or other small, soft fruit will work)
chopped nuts (optional - my granola already had some)
-
Pour into prepared pan. Bake about 30-35 minutes or until bars spring back when pressed with fingertips. Cool, then cut and serve.
-
They store great in the fridge for several days. This works great as a hearty addition to breakfast, or they are perfect for a grab and run snack to tide you over. I keep them in the fridge and eat one for my mid-morning re-fueling. Ryan calls them super oatmeal cookies. Whatever you like.
-
Tip: I like to double the dry ingredients at the top and save half to make it quicker to put these together next time. Just store in an air-tight container in your pantry.

4 comments:

  1. Okay, I need some help. 1. How do I attach a label? 2. How do I make the lines between paragraphs? Somebody ... Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, so sorry about not being able to make lines between paragraphs! I changed the HTML to make it so that it wasn't double-spaced for the whole thing, because I wanted ingredient lists and stuff to be single-spaced. But I messed it up so now 2 enter spaces don't show up! I'll work on it...eventually.

    When you're creating the post, there is a box under the text box that says "labels." That's where you add labels.

    These look yummy! I'll have to give them a try soon! Thanks for posting them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll vouch for this recipe. Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these this morning and they are so good!!! I used banana nut granola by Sunbelt. I was worried the bananas would be really hard, but they kind of just became one with the bars--I haven't come across anything crunchy except the occasional almond. Yum! I love the springy texture!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...