Monday, January 31, 2011

Sloppy Josés and Homemade Tortillas

I came up with this recipe one night when I decided we would have sloppy joes for dinner, but substitute in rice for hamburger. After I made the filling, I realized it would be even better with tortillas. Sam and I like thinking of weird names for my inventions (like "Party in a Pan," or "The Brady Twist"), but I was just calling these Mexican Sloppy Joes. The next day Sam informed me that he had thought of the perfect name...and so we have Sloppy Josés! They taste best with homemade tortillas, but if you are crunched on time you can get some from a tortillaria (Kroger and some Walmarts have them, so Smith's probably does too). Don't settle for thin, dry flaky ones from a package, though! They won't do this dish justice.
Sloppy Josés Filling
2 1/2 c. brown rice, measured dry
1 1/4 c. ketchup (adjust according to your tastes)
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 medium onion
1 Tbsp. mustard
1-2 Tbsp. lime juice
Sour cream+additional limes, if desired, for serving
Cook rice according to package directions. Combine remaining ingredients in a large frying pan and cook until onions begin to get tender. Stir in rice and heat through.
Homemade Tortillas
Now for a quick note on these--most flour tortilla recipes I have tried tend to be very tough and excessively floury in taste. This recipe is different! Because there is a fair amount of butter in it, the dough stays quite tender (and is consequently easier to roll out) and they taste much better. (Recipe adapted from cooking class at BYU.)
4 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. salt
1 c. warm water
1/3 c. milk
1/2 c. butter
Combine dry ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl. Mix milk and water, and heat to just below boiling. Remove from heat and stir in butter, letting it sit in liquid until completely melted. Add milk/water/butter mixture to flour mixture and knead to a soft dough. Break into 16 balls and let rest 10-20 minutes. Roll out tortillas and cook over medium heat, flipping occasionally with a pancake turner until both sides start to have light brown spots on them. Tortillas may still appear doughy, which is okay. If they are cooked until dark brown spots appear and the tortillas have no doughy spots, they will not be very tender and will likely break when you try to roll them up. Eat warm rolled around sloppy josé filling and topped with sour cream and lime juice, if desired! (Although I highly recommend the sour cream...it adds just the right touch.) Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried these with beans too? I bet that would be really yummy, and add some protein, or maybe even shredded chicken. I'm definitely going to try these - ketchup/mustard and lime juice are not ingredients I normally think of combining, but it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the beans and chicken would be great to add in. The chicken especially sounds good! How do you usually prep your chicken when you're going to shred it? Do you just boil it?

    And I'll give you a disclaimer: this is by no means the best dinner ever...but it is a fun twist on an old classic. So don't expect TOO much when you're cooking it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm mostly interested in the tortillas, but I'll give the filling a try - especially with the chicken. I like the sound of that unique mixture.

    I'm working on a post for whole roasted chickens. That's the best way to get pre-cooked chicken that is great for shredding and use in all sorts of good dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I made these tonight and everyone liked them. That doesn't happen very often. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these last night. First of all, the tortillas are amazing! So delicious, just the right consistency, and easy to work with. They also reheated beautifully for lunch today. I'm a definite fan. The final test is if the eight balls of dough I froze will defrost and cook up just as well. If so, this is definitely the best flour tortilla recipe I've ever tried. Thanks for sharing.

    I made the filling with 1/2 the rice and a couple cups of chopped chicken. After tasting it, Ryan and I think pork would be a better addition - the chicken wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either, it needed a bit more kick for the chicken to work well. Mom used black beans, and I think that probably goes better also. All-in-all, this is a keeper, I'm sure I'll make it (or some variation) again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...